On the occasion of a rewarding ceremony organised by the french presidency of the Platform “Ecological network” of the Alpine Vonvention in the frame of the XIth Ministers conference in Brdo (Slovenia) beginning of March 2011, 8 pilot regions have been thanked and congratulated for their exemplary work carried out to improve ecological connectivity on their territories.
These regions, mostly structured around existing protected areas, carry out concrete activities in the aim of realising an alpine ecological network as stipulated in article 12 of the nature protection protocol of the Alpine Convention. Several personalities present at the event, among which the German state secretary for Environment Mrs. Heinen-Esser, have overhanded the rewarding diploma to the representatives of the pilot regions.
This ceremony has also concluded the 2 years of French presideny oft he Platform Ecological network who has passed the reponsability for this working group to Germany, now in chanrge oft he coorination oft he platform activiteis fort he period 2011-2013.
List of the pilot regions (from Southwest to Northeast):
- South-western Alps (National Park Mercantour/ Nature Park Alpi Marittime, France-Italy)
- Département de l’Isère (France)
- Transboundary Ecoregion Gran Paradiso - Mont Avic - Mont Emilius (Italy)
- Ecoregion Alpe Veglia ed Alpe Devero (Italy)
- Rhaetian triangle (Engadin/Southtyrol/Trentino/Tyrol, Switzerland-Italy-Austria)
- Transboundary Region Berchtesgaden – Salzburg (Germany-Austria)
- Transbounadry Ecoregion Alpi Giulie (Italy)
- Nördliche Kalkalpen (Austria)